Historical Harp Society of Ireland
HISTORICAL HARP COLLECTION

The Historical Harp Society of Ireland is assembling a collection of antique and replica harps.

The first harp in the Collection is an Egan Royal Portable harp made in the 1820s, which was donated to the Society in 2008 by Mrs Elsa Warren. More info & photos...

Egan harp


The second instrument in the HHSI Collection is an unsigned harp said to have been made in Barra, Scotland, in the early 20th century. It was donated to the Society in 2009 by Professor Barbara Wright. The harp was purcased for her by her mother in 1947 from the widow of F.R. Higgins, of the Abbey Theatre. More photos...

Barra harp


The third instrument in the Collection is a reconstruction of a 17th century chromatic Irish harp, loosely based on the Cloyne fragments, and made by musician, scholar and instrument maker Tristram Robson. The harp was donated by him to the HHSI in 2011.

Tristram harp


The fourth instrument to be added to the collection, in 2014, is a small Irish harp made by James McFall in Belfast in the first half of the 20th century. This instrument has 22 strings, 18 of iron wire plus 4 wound bass strings. More info & photos...

McFall harp


If you are considering donating an Egan or other 18th, 19th or early 20th century harp to a public collection or institution, please consider the HHSI first.

The HHSI also maintains a collection of student early Irish harps which are available for rental. Click here for details of our harp rental scheme.